The Jump

"THREE"....NO, NO,NO,NO,NO.NO....OH MY GOSH. He can't jump off the rocks into the deep end, he's too little!  

"TWO"...I can't look.  I have to look. I can't look.

I suddenly realize that I've been holding my breath and become vividly aware of the rapid pounding of my heart.  That's my baby up there standing tall, bursting with pride, holding hands with his two older cousins and NOT. WEARING. ANY. FLOATIES. How did he even get up there?!?! Swimming without floaties is one thing but jumping off the rocks into the deep end is completely different. What was I thinking?  Why did I agree to this!  He NEEDS his floaties! I know he's been in swimming lessons since he was nine months old, but he's only three.  He's not ready for this yet!  Maybe he can try again next summer but not now.  "William, get down!"  I yell anxiously...just a second too late.

"ONE!" the three amigos shout in unison.  I leap up from my chair as a smile as wide as Texas spreads across his face and his little body goes springing fearlessly into the air. SPLASH!

I move towards the pool frantically contemplating what to do with the one year old attached to my hip but ready to jump in and save my baby boy when I see his little head full of sandy brown hair pop up out of the water, smile still plastered across his face.  Without a thought, he takes a breath, stretches out his arms, and kicks himself seemingly effortlessly towards the steps of the pool.  I'm still holding my breath.  My heart still pounds deep within my chest but skips a beat when I realize that he's swimming. He's actually swimming!

Grabbing onto the step, he pulls himself up. Throwing his fists up in the air like Rocky after he had made it to the top of the stairs, he shouts "I DID IT!" I breathe in, smile, and breathe out.

I guess sometimes in life we just have to let them take off the floaties and trust that they will remember everything that we have taught them.

"Yes, baby, you did it.  You did it."



Two Writing Teachers: Slice of Life

Comments

  1. This is such a great lesson for any parent, aunt, uncle, grandparent. I remember always being so careful with my brother and sisters children, afraid if I make one wrong move then they will be hurt and it would be all my fault. Then one day I noticed all of my nephews and my niece playing together and they were being so rough! I soon realized that they had to discover for themselves what is "too dangerous" for them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post Harvey

Grandma's Table

Pajama Day